Keeping your child’s teeth healthy is important and a kid dentist can help. Not only do children’s dentists understand how to treat children and keep them comfortable, they are also knowledgeable about the additional trends that make it easier to prevent cavities and other oral health issues. Modern dental technology has made it possible to incorporate these procedures in treatments for children, instead of reserving them for adults only. If you have not taken your child in for an exam, or if it has been awhile, here is what you can expect:
- It’s a fun world out there. At Cute Smiles 4 Kids of San Antonio, we have created a fun atmosphere where kids can come to have their teeth cleaned or dental work done while still enjoying themselves. Scientists have proven the importance of play and how it can impact learning and make a child more comfortable or less susceptible to pain. We have responded by creating the most fun atmosphere possible with toys for kids of all ages and even cartoons in the examination rooms.
- Fluoride treatments are here to stay. Fluoride is important for keeping teeth strong and healthy. Drinking soda, eating too much sugar, and not brushing properly can all damage teeth. Fluoride treatments are a way to combat these habits by placing minerals directly onto the teeth which in turn strengthens them. As a kid dentist, we also recommend that children and adults brush with a fluoride toothpaste at home.
- Dental sealants. A sealant covers the tooth and makes it easier to clean places that are normally difficult to get to like ridges in the tooth. A good way to tell if your child needs a sealant is to see if food remains stuck on their teeth after eating. This could be a sign that they have a deep ridge in the tooth. A sealant is applied by simply brushing it on and using a light to bond it to the tooth. The ridges will be filled in and cleaning will be easier important for preventing cavities.
- Sedation dentistry. It can be difficult for kids to hold still while having dental work performed. They are also more likely to experience discomfort than adults. With this in mind we offer safe sedation dentistry that can help a child to relax and have a pain-free experience while having a cavity worked on, or other dental work completed. We discuss these options with parents and make a decision together on how to move forward.
- White fillings. If your child develops a cavity we can treat it and use a white filling instead of a metal one. This will help to preserve the natural appearance of your child’s teeth so that they don’t go through life with a mouth full of metal. As they age, they will appreciate the ability to ignore the fact that they had cavities as a young one.
There are many ways that we are revolutionizing the patient experience. As a kid dentist, we are focused on the long-term health care of our clients and work to ensure that their memories of visiting the dentist are good ones.